WinRT

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Hi,

Interested in porting to Windows 8 (WinRT) there are all sorts of missing classes and a whole new threading model to contend with.

Considering the size of the core within this project I would like to start small by butting together a Metro soft phone. Any pointers as to the minimum classes that I need to port and how the hell to support the new threading / async stuff.

Cheers,

Mike

Coordinator
Apr 21, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I've been able to build the main SIPSorcery projects and the demo softphone project under Visual Studio 11 Beta targeting .Net 4.5 so there's no reason the whole stack shouldn't run fine on Windows 8. Sure it won't be taking advantage of the new parallelism mechanisms being introduce in .Net 4.5 but those can be incorporated incrementally.

Aaron 

Apr 21, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Aaron,

AFIK .net 4.5 will be ok for x86 machines but won't run Windows RT you need to target the metro applications code library project this is my main aim so there is a completely new API to contend with. 

Cheers, Mike

Coordinator
Apr 21, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Ah ok got you now.

The SIPSorcery.Softphone would be place to start. It and the assemblies it references would be the bare minimum to get a softphone running although SIPSorcery.XMPP and most of SIPSorcery.Persistence aren't required for a softphone application. The crucial assembly is SIPSorcery.SIP.Core followed by most of SIPSorcery.SIP.App and SIPSorcery.Sys.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Hi Mike/Aaron,

I'm interested as well to see the Softphone working on WinRT. Could you let me know the state of this effort? I'll be happy to pitch in if you could use the help.

Thanks,
Satyen 

Coordinator
Sep 4, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Hi Satyen,

To be honest I still haven't gotten around to looking much at WinRT & Metro so I couldn't say what level of effort will be required to get the SIPSorcery softphone to work on it. So to answer your question the state of the effort is that it hasn't started.

Aaron

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM

All,

After starting this subject I haven't had a chance too work on this as other projects have taken priority so the answer the answer to the question is that nothing has happened at all :(

Kind Regards,

Mike